I had to do this today, and while it was very simple, it’s not something I come across needing to do every day.
To move vCenter Server between hosts when there is shared storage:
- Shut down vCenter Server after making a note of the host on which it is running and the datastore on which it is residing. Both can be found on the Summary tab of the vCenter Server virtual machine.
- Connect with the vSphere Client directly to the source ESXi/ESX host on which vCenter Server was running.
- Right-click vCenter Server and click Remove from Inventory.
- Connect with the vSphere Client directly to the destination ESXi/ESX host on which you want the vCenter Server virtual machine to run.
- Right-click the datastore on which vCenter Server is stored and click Browse datastore.
- Open the directory for vCenter Server, right-click the .vmx file and click Add to Inventory.
- Power on the vCenter Server virtual machine.
The original post and instructions for when you don’t have shared storage can be found here.